First off, Credit to Compu_Guy over at androidtablets.net for sharing this information. The main result of his work removes the "China Telecom" as being the cell carrier for your tablet and region locking the market and changes it to T-Mobile.
This may be common knowledge, but I have not seen this posted anywhere and found it extremely useful. Hopefully it helps some members here.
Points of interest
1) Compu_guy performed this hack on a Sylvania tablet with x210 cpu. I know nothing about these tablets, but they seem very similar if not identical.
2) I know just enough about android OS to do a lot of damage to a rooted tablet and most of this is well above my paygrade. I can only help with what I did to make this work on my tablet.
3) My tablet is a generic x210 that identifies itself as an m799ca. Regardless of what I change the model in the build.prop file it is always followed by "v2.0". I think the original model was listed as m799ca v2.0, but I don't specifically remember.
4) I do not have the firmware for this model. If anyone does please share a download link. <3
5) This hack combined with editing the build.prop file to spoof a Nexus S resulted in a very wide open market for me.
6) I have purchased apps, refunded apps and downloaded apps purchased from the same account on my asus transformer.
7) I do get some apps available that just will not run on the tablet. Buyer beware.
Here are the lines I edited in my build.prop (still a work in progress). Some may be overkill or have no effect. Comments, suggestions and corrections welcome. This identifies my tablet as a "Samsung Nexus S" on the google market. Google even sent me a welcome email welcoming me to my new Nexus S. How thoughtful of them!
[here are the original values in the build.prop]
ro.build.display.id=m799ca-eng 2.3.3 GRI40 eng.petter.20111128.170033 test-keys
ro.build.description=m799ca-eng 2.3.3 GRI40 eng.petter.20111128.170033 test-keys
[Here are the values I am currently using in my build.prop.]
[The model and brand values most likely do nothing, but I wanted to change them anyhow]
ro.build.description=soju-user 2.3.4 GRJ22 121341 release-keys
That opened up a little more of the market, but not much. Compu_guys fix really opened the market up.
Here is a link to the specific post with the details for Compu_Guys market fix that removes the "China Telecom" as a the cell phone carrier. http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/sylvania-tablets/27080-sytab10st-root-access-google-apps-market-3.html#post164159
Please read the warnings and the replies.... or even the whole thread.
Make sure you change the permissions on the framework.jar to match the original permissions rw-r--r-- otherwise you may get loads of com.google.gapps force close errors.
Here are the steps from the post by Compu_Guy just incase they vanish.
1) Download apktool from here (http://code.google.com/p/android-apktool/
): android-apktool - A tool for reengineering Android apk files - Google Project Hosting I used the Windows version, so there are two files that you need to download. Load both of those into a directory.
2) Grab your framework.jar file from you tablet. This is located in /system/framework
3) Copy this file to the same folder that you put the apktool
4) Open a command prompt and run apktool with this command: apktool d framework.jar
5) This creates a folder called framework.jar.out that contains the smali files. Open this folder and go to smali/android/telephony
6) Open TelephonyManger.smali with a good text editor. On Windows, I use Notepad++.
7) Look for the string of China Telecom. I just replaced this with China Telecom (New). In my case, there are two instances of it.
8) Look for the string of zh. I just replaced this with us. In my case, there are two instances of it.
9) Look for the string of 46003. I just replaced this with 310260. In my case, there are two instances of it.
10) When you are done, save the file.
11) What I then did was renamed the framework.jar file to framework-old.jar
12) Now from your command prompt run apktool b framework.jar.out This will recompile a new jar file for you. The file will be placed in framework.jar.out/dist.
13) Now open this file with a good zip editor (IZarc, 7zip, etc). There will be a classes.dex file.
14) If you open your original one, you will see there is also a META-INF folder and preloaded-classes file. I copied these out of the original and into the new file.
15) Copy the new framework.jar file on your tablet and replace the existing one.