Author Topic: WonderMedia WM8650 Factory ROM  (Read 15715 times)

Offline NetLarry

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 2
  • Uber-Noobie
WonderMedia WM8650 Factory ROM
« on: December 20, 2011, 01:43:11 PM »
Regarding the epad from LightInTheBox.com (Item ID #00189752) 8" Android tablet (see previous post at
http://www.techknow.t0xic.nl/forum/index.php?topic=477.0 ). While I haven't tried it yet, there is a "recovery" ROM available for this tablet. Download from https://ticket.lightinthebox.com/download/99352706-4831-4569-9a1e-a81c4ab65894 - when I get to try it, I'll post the results. Note that the instruction is in Dutch, so Google Translate comes in handy.

If anyone else has had success with this model, let me know.

NetLarry

Offline HardcoreHacker

• TechKnow Owner
  • Administrator
  • Uber Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6909
  • -Received: 2091
Re: WonderMedia WM8650 Factory ROM
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 01:51:55 PM »
Hi NetLarry,

I'm downloading this ROM now, for v11, there will be a lot of new models supported, with some luck, this model is already included in v11, I'll check it to be sure.

Cheers,

HcH

Offline NetLarry

• Thank You
  • Uber-Noobie
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 06:32:22 PM »
More good news!  Option 10 in the Uberoid ROM seems to work well, I'm testing it out now, The only issue is the screen calibration - you'll tear your hair out trying to figure where to touch to open the screen calibration utility.

WiFi OK, Camera OK, G-sensor OK

Offline HardcoreHacker

• TechKnow Owner
  • Administrator
  • Uber Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 06:45:36 PM »
Hi NetLarry,

that's good news! Sometimes it helps to use a mouse to calibrate the screen, the ZT180 first boots always with calibration, that's a nice feature but I'm not sure how to achieve this with this ROM. Anyway, I added the Netpad11 with 512MB RAM to v11, check the ROM section , somewhere today I'll upload a BETA version there fo Uberoid v11!

Cheers,

HcH

Offline NetLarry

• Thank You
  • Uber-Noobie
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 03:13:26 PM »
I'll definitely try the mouse next time I flash the ROM. This model has the dongle with ethernet and 2 USB ports and it works with my tiny USB 'chiclet' keyboard natively. I'll try to find a small mouse so to not tax the USB power,

Since the "Touchscreen Calibration" is at the bottom of the list, it can be VERY hard to tap, but if you rotate the tablet orientation, you can find a spot that will hit the option. Patience is required (along with pressing the "Back" button many times).

Is there some kind of "run once" directory that could have an entry pointing to the calibration? Or a general "autoexec" that could call the calibration, then delete the script upon non-error exit of the script? I guess now I'll have to do some experimenting myself. If I find a way I'll be sure to post it.

Thanks for all the help! Excellent job, and THANK YOU HcH! Your work is greatly appreciated even if some users don't express it.

Offline HardcoreHacker

• TechKnow Owner
  • Administrator
  • Uber Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 03:57:46 PM »
Hi NetLarry,

My M003S also has this "Calibration Failed!" problem, even when I use a stylus (the calibration demands some accuracy, so you can get the failed message when you've done it using your fingers), I keep getting this error.

I've read a while back that this could have something to do with env_uboot, the value model.no. Personally I doubt that, there are some other values that could influence this like: wmt.io.touch and io.ts.2dcal.

In an attempt to fix this problem I'll try to take values from another env_uboot with about the same tablet specs.

Using connectbot or any other terminal emulator or reflashing you can try a couple of these settings until one matches.

Hope this helps!

HcH

Offline NetLarry

• Thank You
  • Uber-Noobie
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 04:48:30 PM »
The calibration didn't really fail, once the routine was selected the calibration worked fine. It was getting to the program. The image & touchscreen were way off and because Touchscreen Calibrate is last in the list, it's by the edge. If you try all 4 screen rotations, you will find one that lets you select Touchscreen (after much trial and error and pushing the back key).

Offline HardcoreHacker

• TechKnow Owner
  • Administrator
  • Uber Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 08:49:04 PM »
Aaah! I see! Yes it's not a wise choice to put the calibration at the bottom of the screen, this makes it really hard to press it once you really need it!

Offline hibernian56

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Received: 42
  • Uber-Noobie
  • Tablet / Size / Model: MID 7 (motherboard wms8125b)
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 09:16:11 PM »
HCH,

I found this on another forum, but I can't get it to work, "unable to parser file" error when trying to run from SD card (whatever that means).

The instructions are;

1. Flash ROM
2. Boot first time.
3. Install / Run TSCalibrate from prepared SD Card (i.e. NOT your Uberoid card). Nothing happens yet.
5. Power off.
6. Delete TS Calibrate from SD Card.
7. Power up again (with card back in LESS TSCalibrate)
8. TSCalibrate runs and you should be able to calibrate.

Maybe you could have more luck?

Anyone know what that "parser" error is all about? Tried running from SD Card, Dropbox and several installers with no joy.

I hate the way people say "its not working" today an chuck things in the bin. What would McGyver or BA say?

Offline exwebjunkie

• Thank You
  • -Received: 0
  • Uber-Noobie
  • Tablet / Size / Model: WM8650
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 12:58:34 AM »
Hi NetLarry (and everyone else),

I purchased the same tablet as you for my son for Christmas.  Thanks for suggesting the settings, which worked perfectly.   I've got onto the Marketplace and various apps work perfectly (music, video, etc).

The only problems I am having are playing games such as Angry Birds, Cut the Rope, etc.   These will load, but they are VERY slow.  Have you had the same issues?  Wondering if this is because of the ROM, or just because of the device specs and if there is anything I will be able to do to improve it.

Any advice appreciated,

Cheers
J

Offline NetLarry

• Thank You
  • Uber-Noobie
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 01:40:59 AM »
J,

Angry Birds won't work well for me either.  It did the same thing when I forced an install with the original Chinese setup.  I believe the older ARM hardware just can't keep up.  Like the Flash Player - only the eval version of Flash 10.1 seems to work, newer ones don't run.  Sometimes, if you can find an older version of the program it may work, but performance is an issue. For $99, you know we don't have the latest hardware. I still love it for the price.

NetLarry

Offline xghostyxjokerx

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Received: 3
  • Uber-Noobie
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2011, 04:07:38 PM »
Regarding the epad from LightInTheBox.com (Item ID #00189752) 8" Android tablet (see previous post at
http://www.techknow.t0xic.nl/forum/index.php?topic=477.0 ). While I haven't tried it yet, there is a "recovery" ROM available for this tablet. Download from https://ticket.lightinthebox.com/download/99352706-4831-4569-9a1e-a81c4ab65894 - when I get to try it, I'll post the results. Note that the instruction is in Dutch, so Google Translate comes in handy.

If anyone else has had success with this model, let me know.

NetLarry

i dont have that item number... i have items number...00189753
http://www.lightinthebox.com/7-inch-Epad-VIA8650-800Mhz-Android-2-2-OS-Tablet-PC_p189753.html  will this work? no iassume right because of size for screen?

Offline NetLarry

• Thank You
  • Uber-Noobie
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 02:29:39 PM »
I'd try another option whose description includes 7" screen  :option3: and it may take multiple attempts to find the right one. Try to have a copy of the original ROM in case problems arise. Check each one until you find the best fit. A mouse will help select the touchscreen calibration (if it fails, try shutting tablet off and rebooting to get it to work).

If you go to support where you bought the tablet & ask they will email you a link to the original ROM.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 02:38:06 PM by NetLarry »

Offline xghostyxjokerx

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Received: 3
  • Uber-Noobie
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 02:00:52 AM »
I'd try another option whose description includes 7" screen  :option3: and it may take multiple attempts to find the right one. Try to have a copy of the original ROM in case problems arise. Check each one until you find the best fit. A mouse will help select the touchscreen calibration (if it fails, try shutting tablet off and rebooting to get it to work).

If you go to support where you bought the tablet & ask they will email you a link to the original ROM.

hmm i talk to them for the firmware and they gave me a link to the same firmware as the 1st post for some reason now the screen size doesnt fit wow i just email them again to possibly give me the correct version..becuase so far it doesnt help my situation....

Offline gladys_12

• Thank You
  • Uber-Noobie
  • Tablet / Size / Model: wm 8650 android tablet
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 10:34:49 PM »
Hello there thanks for ur help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D

Offline sunnelly

• Thank You
  • Uber-Noobie
  • Tablet / Size / Model: 8'' tablet pc android 2.2 MID M80003W
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2013, 05:11:25 PM »
 :android-cry: pls some one should help me, my android froyo 2.2 wm8650 device is bricks after install hybrid wm8650 honeycombmod by hch.. Pls any software on how to do factory reset because my android is blank..
Ur urgent reply is needed..
Thanks

Offline satcomranger

• TechKnow Co-Owner
  • Administrator
  • Uber Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 304
  • -Received: 4683
  • I'm old - But still Learning
  • Tablet / Size / Model: VIA WM8650/ 7" / Option 8 / MID-703
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2013, 05:16:05 PM »
:android-cry: pls some one should help me, my android froyo 2.2 wm8650 device is bricks after install hybrid wm8650 honeycombmod by hch.. Pls any software on how to do factory reset because my android is blank..
Ur urgent reply is needed..
Thanks

reflash it again !  use the correct option number if you used the changer .. if you used the uberoidtool  then post the backup file ..
Did you by any chance during the flash see an error  "cannot upgrade kernal nand"  or a partitioning error ?
Tab 1-Via WM8650 Option 8,Green Power/Red Charge, Black Audio - Vibrate No - 2 Point Touch Uberoid V12B2
Tab 2-Flytouch 3/Superpad 3 - Axlien (Based on Tim4e)
Tab 3-Dell Streak 7 Wifi Stock Honeycomb 3.2
Tab 4-M799CA V2.0 Running TKT3.2A
Retired Electronics Tech / Network Engineer