Author Topic: G-Rexx 7" New Tab-700 Tear down and options?  (Read 5895 times)

Offline Stokes

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 0
  • Uber-Noobie
  • Tablet / Size / Model: 7" China Telecom Infotmic m7206a-v1.8
G-Rexx 7" New Tab-700 Tear down and options?
« on: September 02, 2012, 08:53:56 AM »
Hello everyone!  New member here, Stokes.  I got a new tablet today, it is a G-Rexx 7" New Tab-700, i didnt pick it, and it was free.  From what i can assertain its a generic android tablet. 
Since it was so generic i decided to tear it down to see what was under the hood.  Tear down pics with board info found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/itgoesonandonandon/sets/72157631361866232/

I came across this community searching for any mods and custom roms that i can put on it.  After reading through several posts (including the FAQ's) I thought that maybe I can offer up the rom on this device if it is needed for either Stock Rom or to incorporate into the project.

I have not modded anything in the system, other than running z4root to try to get root access; which i'm not sure i have or not as the program closed without a success or failure prompt (or if it did i missed it).  Either way if the Stock Firmware is needed its available before i start modding it.

Which brings me to my second part.  Since I've read through several threads I've actually gave myself doubts as to which options would best suit what i wont to accomplish with the tablet.  I'm a novice at tablet jailbreaking/rooting/modding so i'm always leary about making changes to something of value.  But since this has no value I'm willing to experiment :-)

Pretty much like everyone else who has one of these generic tabs, common things you'd expect to work doesnt, due to the whole region thing being set to China.

So here is what I'd like the tablet to do:
Get Netflix
Get Google Play
Remove the phone capability (its a tablet not a phone and only way to make it a phone is getting the 3g dongle, which i dont need)
Be more Responsive when scrolling (this is after peeling off 4 layers of screen protector film that was on it)
Possibly OC it just a hair, thinking about cutting vents into the back of the case and adding a small low profile fan if it gets to warm.
Upgrade to a newer version of Android OS (current version on it now is 2.3.3 according to system info.)  Would like to go to ICS if possible.

Some things to mention, it came with some connector dongle that has 2 usb ports and a rj45 networking port.  I can plug a usb KB, Mouse and thumb drives into the dongle and all work, so i dont want to lose that functionality.

So now I am unsure of which would be the best option to get what i want to the tablet to do.  I've looked at PTK4.0 and Unbrickable as the top 2, in no particular order, but didnt know the pros/cons associated with each since the tablet is generic and there can be broad differences in hardware.

Oh and i failed at taking the thing apart when i tore it down, pryed the top part off along the sides and the screws just came out of the part on the back almost liek they were to short, you may see them in the photo of the board.

Thanks for any guidence at this point.  Oh and if you want the stock firmware or what not, i'd need to know how to dump it.  Did i mention i was a novice?

Thanks,
Stokes

P.S. I apologize in advance if this post is displayed or formatted wonky, for some wierd reason my browser is thinking i'm on some super wide screen format, ie the margin on the post new topic page are way off inside it, and sentances dont seem to be wrapping to a new line properly.

Offline twjordo

• Administrator
  • Uber Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4760
  • -Received: 2271
  • Tablet / Size / Model: =   :cool-android:    :android-wink:    :cool-android:
Re: G-Rexx 7" New Tab-700 Tear down and options?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 03:33:08 PM »
this is a m7206 variation but a newer opne that is v1.8 as it says on the motherboard  8-)

the only way to get the exact firmware you have is to contact manufacturer since this was a gift.

we do have some firmwares and they are labeled by the build date listed in the build.prop in the root/system directory

netflix will play on this device but somewhat lagish and plays hq alot better than hd video.

we are not aware of a proper upgrade for you to change os to 4.0ics.

we do offer a few custom roms and these infotmic tablets are a bit different to flash...let me explain-
to simply update/flash the rom you will need to read the winhex tutorials located in the 2.3 faq's section of forum

roms: http://www.techknow.t0xic.nl/forum/index.php?board=45.0

faq's: http://www.techknow.t0xic.nl/forum/index.php?board=46.0
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 03:35:10 PM by twjordo »
Guest consider a donation  - Thanks!
▌│█║▌║▌║ ⓤⓑⓔⓡⓞⓘⓓ + ⓤⓑⓔⓡⓘⓩⓔⓡ ║▌║▌║█│▌
™©®

Offline Stokes

• Thank You
  • Uber-Noobie
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 10:07:46 PM »
Ah bummer there isnt a way to dump it over easily, as the mfg. doesnt exist according to google search lol.  Not to mention there not being any contact info in the manual or warranty info, lol.  Also checked the FCC ID against the FCC Database and guess what?  Device doesnt exist, go fig lol  :gasp:

Oh and not sure if this matters or not, but when i take the int. MicroSD card out, and power on the device it comes up with the green android logo and just hangs out there, where as with the card in it actually it will go through the boot sequence of green Android logo->ANDROID_->Silver animated android logo->Desktop.  Almost like the OS is on the int SD card, kinda like when booting a pc with no hd just chills at the bios screen.  If that is the case then I'd feel a bit more comfortable understanding whats going on.  Basically if the firmware = the bios, and the sd card = the HD, then it makes things so much easier.  So if it was as simple as dropping a new version of the OS on teh SD card minus the complexity of drivers and etc which I'd have to work out then i dont see why a newer os version wouldnt be able to be installed.  I'll look into that since i dont think it applies to this community.  Sorry for getting sidetracked.

Also is there any reason as to not be able to use a larger internal SD card?  4GB isnt a lot imho.

Will be doing a bit more research before making any sweeping changes because even though the tablet was free, a paper weight isnt much fun  :android-wink: will keep you guys updated.

Offline twjordo

• Administrator
  • Uber Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 01:34:45 AM »
the os is on the internal sd card and it is not possible to re-size the "user space" of the partitions so there is no need to use a larger sd than 4gb
™©®

Offline Stokes

• Thank You
  • Uber-Noobie
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 02:30:24 AM »
Well crap, i gues the only thing to do then is just grab a rom and go for it.  I grabbed a spare sd card to work with so i dont mess up the original.  Since i'm not upgrading or messing with the firmware, if i run a different rom from the int sd. am i correct in understanding it will just be whatever fixes are included in that rom?

Also i dont beleive my tablet can boot from teh ext sd as I've tried putting the int sd there.  Going to take the plunge, so to speak, tonight. 

Offline satcomranger

• Administrator
  • Uber Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 299
  • -Received: 4471
  • I'm old - But still Learning
  • Tablet / Size / Model: VIA WM8650/ 7" / Option 8 / MID-703
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 02:34:11 AM »
Well crap, i gues the only thing to do then is just grab a rom and go for it.  I grabbed a spare sd card to work with so i dont mess up the original.  Since i'm not upgrading or messing with the firmware, if i run a different rom from the int sd. am i correct in understanding it will just be whatever fixes are included in that rom?

Also i dont beleive my tablet can boot from teh ext sd as I've tried putting the int sd there.  Going to take the plunge, so to speak, tonight.

the m7206 does flash from the sd card .. you just cant take out the internal card plug it into the external sd card slot and expect it to boot .. doesnt work that way !
Tab 1-Via WM8650 Option 8,Green Power/Red Charge, Black Audio - Vibrate No - 2 Point Touch Uberoid V12B2
Tab 2-Flytouch 3/Superpad 3 - Axlien (Based on Tim4e)
Tab 3-Dell Streak 7 Wifi Stock Honeycomb 3.2
Tab 4-M799CA V2.0 Running TKT3.2A
Retired Electronics Tech / Network Engineer

Offline twjordo

• Administrator
  • Uber Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 02:59:52 AM »
SEE MY SIGNATURE !!!!

the faq's are full of useful info for you concerning this device ....here are some helpful links for you

http://www.techknow.t0xic.nl/forum/index.php?topic=1188.0

http://www.techknow.t0xic.nl/forum/index.php?topic=1889.0
™©®

Offline Stokes

• Thank You
  • Uber-Noobie
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 08:43:18 AM »
Ok so I've tried the following items:

1. Followed the guide for Tkt4.0 - None of the uimages worked. Would get to the Android prompt and hang there for ever.
2. Followed the steps found in the Unbrickable post - and it came up with System could not be restored, system failure.

I re-formated and re-hex'ed between each attempt.  So is there something i'm missing?  I've read the faq's and felt pretty comfotable with the guides and the steps to take.  Thankfully i was smart enough to make a raw image dump of the intSD before performing anything so i have it to restore back to.  Which boots just fine.

So I guess where do we go from here?

Edit:  :con1: So i think at some point during all of this i fried something somewhere as the tablet is no longer charging, tossing the charging in a zip bag and frezing it over night to see if thats the problem, then its just the charger.  Visually there isnt any burn marks and the solder connections seem strong on the port but ya never know.  The transformer isnt warm at all so not sure whats going on, will ahve to find my voltage meter to see if its getting power and there just isnt any draw or what.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 10:29:19 AM by Stokes »

Offline twjordo

• Administrator
  • Uber Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 01:48:26 PM »
i must admit you are smarter than most for removing and storing your internal sd as a backup  :android-nerd:

you can actually clone the internal sd via winhex to your cp and this will allow for you to upload it to file sharing service for others to restore to factory and for your own use.

here is a clone you could try to put on one of your 4gb sd cards (not the original internal)
http://www.4shared.com/archive/_UYds8fZ/skull3.html

this will give you an operating system that you can then update to the newest tkt rom via external sd flash.  you can not flash the device without a operating system on the internal sd (from my experience)

winhex is sometimes a pain in the arse so be patient and be sure you are selecting PHYSICAL not logical for the source: medium .....i can offer my assistance and tutor you through the process via messenger service but we have had some members with this v1.8 motherboard that were not successful in their upgrade attempts but also some of them were ----so this being said it is impossible for us at techknow to determine if it truly is compatibility issue or simple user error.
    good luck with your tablet and the charger issue seems most unlikely that flashing would have anything to do with it failing imo ....the chargers for these tablets are very cheaply manufactured and know to fail but be sure to test it via voltmeter and the inner of it's tip is + and the outside of the post is - ......also be sure not to try a different charger of higher voltage for it will most definately fry either the capacitor/resistor or circuit.... higher or lower mAh's is fine for the charger ---- higher will charge faster/lower slower
™©®

Offline Stokes

• Thank You
  • Uber-Noobie
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 12:06:45 AM »
Heh thanks twjordo. 

The freezer trick worked for my charger after i took it out of the bag and let it air out, condensation is a pita for electronics lol; but just incase i grabbed a few spare random chargers laying around the house to work with that are 5v 2.5A, just need to replace the tips which i have from other chargers that arent the req. V.  Yeah the inside barrel is + and outside is - so no frying parts for me  :android-lol:

So the image file i have for my int SD card isn't in winhex, but reimaging it with winhex shouldnt be a problem, it's currently in a HDDRawCopy format, *.imgc is the extension.  What do you mean by "to your cp"? Is that shorthand for computer? ifso nvm if it is something else that is important well then ellaborate :-).

Grabbing the skull3 file now so after the tab gets fully charged i'll drop it on the spare sd i have.  Are the winhex instructions the same as if i were creating the SD from the TKT rom?

Ironically enough my wife bought me a new Nexus 7...I guess she felt obligated since i bought her a Samsung Galaxy Tab2 10.1 last weekend lol.  It's only the 8gb model but it will be my next teardown project as it doesnt have an ext sd slot and i really like being able to expand my storage capacity.  Everything i've seen and read so far on it is it was designed by ASUS and they originally had included the ext sd slot but google wanted it off to milk the 16g upgrade option.  So i'm pretty sure the internal circuitry and pads are there, if not the actual slot and it is just covered by the case, other wise if the pads are there i can solder a port on it and use my dremel to notch out the side casing for access. Hardware modding i can do, its the software stuff that throws me off  :android-smile: . But that is a post for another occasion.

Anyways i'll update again once i get down to dropping the wh image on the int sd and tkt 4.0 on the ext.  Should i let the tablet boot with the skull3 image or jump right to applying the tkt?

Thanks again for being awesome  :android-wink:

Offline twjordo

• Administrator
  • Uber Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 12:25:36 AM »
go ahead and boot it with the skull .img so you know it is functional....the reason the skull project was closed was due to the release of the custom tkt roms but for now it will work to test your tablet to the tkt roms... let us know how it goes and congrats with the new tab ....i am green with envy -hehehe-

™©®

Offline Stokes

• Thank You
  • Uber-Noobie
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 03:20:19 AM »
Ok got a winhex img of the intSD.  What settings are reccomended for compressing with 7zip and unloading to 4share?  The raw .img file is 3.69GB.

Offline twjordo

• Administrator
  • Uber Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 03:29:24 AM »
simply compress and upload.... this is mainly to free space on your cp but could benefit others  ;)

i can tutor you with winhex if needed via messenger service  :android-question:
™©®

Offline twjordo

• Administrator
  • Uber Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 03:30:54 AM »
my finished uploaded clones are around 355mb so you should be able to compress close to that size  ;)
™©®

Offline Stokes

• Thank You
  • Uber-Noobie
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 03:42:40 AM »
Uploading now on a 10mb connection.  Will get the link posted in a few minutes.

Ok should be here: http://www.4shared.com/archive/VdSq54bZ/M7206A-v18A.html?refurl=d1url
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 03:46:26 AM by Stokes »

Offline twjordo

• Administrator
  • Uber Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2012, 03:53:17 AM »
do you know the build date that was in the build.prop so i can properly label this as a dated "firmware clone" for others in the rom section  :android-question:     thanks!
™©®

Offline Stokes

• Thank You
  • Uber-Noobie
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2012, 04:09:34 AM »
Sadly I do not, not even sure where to find it tbh.  I dont have a linux box to view the other partitions, but working on it  :android-angry: Got an old AMD64 chip that is begging to be used again for something, so will put a linux box together with it.  Possibly look into building a Honeycomb distro for this tab if its not to difficult.

How would you like to IM, just dropped the skull img to my sd but get teh "Failed to recover system, system halted" msg on boot up so thinking i'm definately doing something wrong.

Offline twjordo

• Administrator
  • Uber Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2012, 04:19:25 AM »
i prefer msn - twjordo@hotmail or click the butterfly under my avatar  8-)
™©®

Offline Stokes

• Thank You
  • Uber-Noobie
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2012, 04:35:44 AM »
Downloading and Installing it now, [email protected] is mine. 

Well our efforts tonight did not go unfounded.  I'll pickup another SD tomorrow and also try to grab an internal media card reader that plugs into the usb header in teh mainboard of my comp.  Gonna try to manually root the device tonight using gingerbreak since z4root couldnt.  Will update tomorrow.

Edit: Ok new card and new card reader had no effect on the outcome.  Gonna try a different computer.  Also I cannot seem to root the device either, i've tried gingerbreak, z4root, and dont know what else there are.  May need to adp into it to do it, but not sure on how or if i can since it didnt have a standard mini udb port to plug in my comp with, may have to try something over the network.

Edit2: Tried Superoneclick, it siad success but tablet still didnt root.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 05:53:24 AM by Stokes »

Offline Stokes

• Thank You
  • Uber-Noobie
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2012, 06:38:35 PM »
Yeeeeaaa, so after not getting any sleep last night thinking of how to do something with this tablet, the question occurred to me of "How long should I wait at the 2nd android screen before deciding it was a no go."  I'm thinking my impatience may have gotten the best of me  :android-clown:.  So how long should i wait for the device to boot up after running tkt4, i think 10min was the longest i waited.

Also when changing to some of the uimages, after flashing when it says to eject the ext sd, i eject it then a handful of errors scroll up really fast and the tablet reboots and goes to the 2nd Android screen(the one that looks like a terminal font).

The difference between the stock boot and tkt rom boot which may have led me to think that the device wasnt doing anything was on stock boot it said "Android_" <-with a blinking cursor vs "ANDROID" with no blinking cursor.

If i need to wait longer then 10min then pass me my dunce cap lol

Offline twjordo

• Administrator
  • Uber Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2012, 06:40:53 PM »
no need to wait longer than 15 minutes tops then i would say it is "safe" to try again... winhex is a royal pain in the arse some times
™©®

Offline twjordo

• Administrator
  • Uber Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2012, 06:43:27 PM »
this tablet will root with gingerbreak if you want to root it and disable cell standby to improve battery life ....worst case scenario that you can not get tkt rom installed

there are several tips tricks etc... for this tablet we developed before the tkt rom was made that you can use to try to tweak it as much as possible
™©®

Offline Stokes

• Thank You
  • Uber-Noobie
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2012, 10:17:16 PM »
Hmm i tried Gingerbreak, and it just spun its little wheel for like 20minutes.  Will probably try HairyBikers Rooted only april f/w as that sounds to be the best match based on the discussion in that thread.  Worst case scenario is it doesnt work and i restore the original back on it.  But in teh mean time i 've got the android source downloading and will be disecting what i can from the original system image for porting the hardware libs to ICS.  Cant find the full source for HC :-/ or i would do it since i think ICS will bog this thing down without an OC to the cpu, not to mention the lack of RAM, so if i do get somethign going it will be very basic functionality.

Interesting enough i have some very low profile heatsink fins and thermal paste i can drop on th CPU and still have clearance to close it back up so i may be modding this think more than i initially thought.  Just all depends on how far i can take it with software.

Offline twjordo

• Administrator
  • Uber Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2012, 10:27:20 PM »
sounds great!   good luck! ....it is weird that gbreak didnt work but oooh well     
™©®

Offline Stokes

• Thank You
  • Uber-Noobie
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2012, 02:24:45 AM »
HELL YEAH! HairyBiker where ya at you beautiful man you  :android-kiss: :android-kiss: :android-kiss: I have never wanted to kiss a man as much as i want to kiss you right now!  Your ROM worked flawlessly for me, so i finally have root now.  Now i can move on to installing the correct market and other regional things and disabling the phone api to not drain my battery.  Speaking of battery, havent had any mis-reporting of battery charge and everything from wifi to touchscreen to audio is working great!

I love this place!!!! :android-rules:

Edit:  ADDED BONUS!!!! stuck a plain formatted 8gb SD in the intSD and booted off the extSD 4gb aaaaaaannndddd  I've got 6gb+ internal storage!  I'm so excited!  Now the question is can i resize the partition that is the page file is on to make it larger?  I thought i saw a post somewhere where Leeh adjusted soem of the partitions to make better effecient use of the storage space and thought one of those was increasing the page file.  I mean i'm uber happy as is but would be sooper dooper uber happy to get a larger pagefile.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 02:33:21 AM by Stokes »

Offline twjordo

• Administrator
  • Uber Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2012, 02:48:11 AM »
this is most excellent news !!!!   i think he resized the partitions as far as memory but not user space.... that info if it was released would be here http://www.techknow.t0xic.nl/forum/index.php?topic=688.msg18025#msg18025 ....this is where the .img was finally cracked and the info is all there
™©®

Offline twjordo

• Administrator
  • Uber Member
  • Thank You
™©®