Author Topic: Use modified wmt.scriptcmd to "factory reset a locked WM8650 tablet?  (Read 8661 times)

Offline crackitopen

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Received: 2
  • Uber-Noobie
  • Tablet / Size / Model: #1 - VIA WM8650 Mid 7" Option 8, #2 Le Pan TC970 9.7" CM7
Hi all,

I just bought a second WM8650  tablet off eBay - got it cheap/non-working. The description was vague - does not power on - but once I got it home and charged it for a bit, then I turned it on and it booted OK, but came up to a lock screen with 9 pads to enter a password or design. I tried a few designs - too many, I guess, and now it comes up to a Google screen to unlock the tablet. The wifi seems not to be on, but anyways I would need to be able to enter the WPA password. I tried the dongle with a wired ethernet connection, but I didn't see the eth logo on the status bar either. And even if I can get a internet connection, if I use my own Google account info, would it unlock the tablet? Obviously, it's a different account than what is already in the tablet.

I know a factory reset would clear up this problem, but how to do it when I'm locked out of the tablet? So my question comes down to this - Could the wmt.scripcmd be modified so that it only erases the user data portion of the nand? Perhaps it would be necessary to erase the cache portion, and maybe the Dalvik cache as well - I'm not sure if all of these are erased in a factory reset.

The tablet is a Mid 7" WM8650 with green LED, red charging, no vibrate (at least none yet), has the 24 pin dongle for USB x 2 and ethernet. I know this is capable of being Uberoided, but I want to have a look at the original ROM if possible, and also save the wmt_env file, and see if there is a flash version currently installed. So if I can somehow accomplish a factory reset, I think I can do all this.

Thanks in advance for any advice or help.

Offline satcomranger

• TechKnow Co-Owner
  • Administrator
  • Uber Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 317
  • -Received: 4857
  • I'm old - But still Learning
  • Tablet / Size / Model: VIA WM8650/ 7" / Option 8 / MID-703
Re: Use modified wmt.scriptcmd to "factory reset a locked WM8650 tablet?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 11:24:33 PM »
download an older version of uberoidtool
v .35e    it will just read your env_uboot data then you can use that to bring it into your pc

http://www.techknow.t0xic.nl/forum/index.php?topic=1098.0
Tab 1-Via WM8650 Option 8,Green Power/Red Charge, Black Audio - Vibrate No - 2 Point Touch Uberoid V12B2
Tab 2-Flytouch 3/Superpad 3 - Axlien (Based on Tim4e)
Tab 3-Dell Streak 7 Wifi Stock Honeycomb 3.2
Tab 4-M799CA V2.0 Running TKT3.2A
Retired Electronics Tech / Network Engineer

Offline twjordo

• TechKnow Co-Owner
  • Administrator
  • Uber Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5485
  • -Received: 2495
  • Tablet / Size / Model: =   :cool-android:    :android-wink:    :cool-android:
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 11:41:33 PM »
insert a pin in the reset hole ....this will perform a factory reset on some devices which would clear the password and google acct
Guest consider a donation  - Thanks!
▌│█║▌║▌║ ⓤⓑⓔⓡⓞⓘⓓ + ⓤⓑⓔⓡⓘⓩⓔⓡ ║▌║▌║█│▌
™©®

Offline crackitopen

• Thank You
  • Uber-Noobie
  • Tablet / Size / Model: #1 - VIA WM8650 Mid 7" Option 8, #2 Le Pan TC970 9.7" CM7
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 03:37:41 AM »
Thanks for the fast replies. I did try the reset button with a pin last night. It did reset the tablet, but when it rebooted, it was exactly the same, and still locked. I will use SatcomRanger's advice to get the env_uboot file, but I'm actually hoping to have a look at the original rom before I Uberoid it, if that is feasible. For curiosity's sake, if for no other reason.

Offline twjordo

• TechKnow Co-Owner
  • Administrator
  • Uber Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5485
  • -Received: 2495
  • Tablet / Size / Model: =   :cool-android:    :android-wink:    :cool-android:
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 04:12:16 AM »
That is a good idea to have your firmware  ;)
Guest consider a donation  - Thanks!
▌│█║▌║▌║ ⓤⓑⓔⓡⓞⓘⓓ + ⓤⓑⓔⓡⓘⓩⓔⓡ ║▌║▌║█│▌
™©®

Offline crackitopen

• Thank You
  • Uber-Noobie
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 01:48:05 PM »
So last night, after some googling, I found a thread about a modified wit_script that copies 3 files onto your sdcard, these being env.bin, u-boot.bin, and wload.bin. Here is the link to the thread, if I may post it here:

http://www.techknow.t0xic.nl/forum/index.php?topic=640.0

So I copied that wmt_scriptcmd onto an SD card, inserted it into the tablet, and rebooted, but the tablet just booted  up to the locked screen, as before.

So I tried the same thing in my 1st tablet, and this one booted to the android robot logo, and stayed there not changing, so I waited a few minutes to make sure the script had time to work, then I powered it off, removed the SD card, put it in my computer, and sure enough, the 3 files were there now.

So I tried a couple of different SD cards in the 2nd tablet, but no success yet. It seems to have a problem with the SD card reader. The best I've got it to do, it did create the 3 files, all of them 0 bytes in length. I will have to check this out a little further, because obviously, if the SD card socket is an issue, I would not be able to Uberoid this tablet. I will update this when I get the SD card working.

Offline crackitopen

• Thank You
  • Uber-Noobie
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 08:08:20 PM »
Hi All,

I've been doing a lot of reading since my last post - I'm on the road for 2 weeks, so I haven't been experimenting with the new tablet, but I was hoping to come across some tip that might help when I get back home. I think I've just had that "Eureka!!!" moment. If I may post the link here:

http://www.techknow.t0xic.nl/forum/index.php?topic=525.0

My new tablet goes through the same boot sequence as the 3 photos that maxwellsk posted in that thread. After those 3 sequences, it does the Android shine animation. I didn't think much about it at the time, I just thought it had a modified (or customized) boot sequence.

So, of course now, I am wondering if perhaps the new tablet is in fact an InfoTmic M009F or M010F and not a WM8650.  I looked at the specs for both of these tablets, neither mentions the 24 pin port for the usb/ethernet dongle. My new tablet has the 24 pin port, same as my old tablet - which definitely is a WM8650. Though in all actuality, I'm not sure if that 24 pin port is the same as my WM8650, because when I plugged in the dongle for some ethernet access, it seemed like the tablet shut itself off. I thought maybe I had a problem with the dongle, and didn't try it again. At least when I pressed the power button, it came back to life again.

I think I have some more reading ahead of me!

Offline satcomranger

• TechKnow Co-Owner
  • Administrator
  • Uber Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 317
  • -Received: 4857
  • I'm old - But still Learning
  • Tablet / Size / Model: VIA WM8650/ 7" / Option 8 / MID-703
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 08:15:41 PM »
Hi All,

I've been doing a lot of reading since my last post - I'm on the road for 2 weeks, so I haven't been experimenting with the new tablet, but I was hoping to come across some tip that might help when I get back home. I think I've just had that "Eureka!!!" moment. If I may post the link here:

http://www.techknow.t0xic.nl/forum/index.php?topic=525.0

My new tablet goes through the same boot sequence as the 3 photos that maxwellsk posted in that thread. After those 3 sequences, it does the Android shine animation. I didn't think much about it at the time, I just thought it had a modified (or customized) boot sequence.

So, of course now, I am wondering if perhaps the new tablet is in fact an InfoTmic M009F or M010F and not a WM8650.  I looked at the specs for both of these tablets, neither mentions the 24 pin port for the usb/ethernet dongle. My new tablet has the 24 pin port, same as my old tablet - which definitely is a WM8650. Though in all actuality, I'm not sure if that 24 pin port is the same as my WM8650, because when I plugged in the dongle for some ethernet access, it seemed like the tablet shut itself off. I thought maybe I had a problem with the dongle, and didn't try it again. At least when I pressed the power button, it came back to life again.

I think I have some more reading ahead of me!

on the new tablet .. go to settings / about device and post whats there. there is virtually no difference externally .. if it is running Android 2.3.3 it might be a infotm tablet ..
Tab 1-Via WM8650 Option 8,Green Power/Red Charge, Black Audio - Vibrate No - 2 Point Touch Uberoid V12B2
Tab 2-Flytouch 3/Superpad 3 - Axlien (Based on Tim4e)
Tab 3-Dell Streak 7 Wifi Stock Honeycomb 3.2
Tab 4-M799CA V2.0 Running TKT3.2A
Retired Electronics Tech / Network Engineer

Online HardcoreHacker

• TechKnow Owner
  • Administrator
  • Uber Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7257
  • -Received: 2234
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 08:24:25 PM »
Hey crackitopen,

I was reading your post and thought, if the unlockscreen doesn't go away after a reflash, there's some file being created with data of the lockscreenpattern. There would be some trick possible to unlock your device using a firmware reinstall, by easily adding a empty or default lockscreenpattern file, it's probably stored in /data(/system?). You'll need a working device however to track down using some tool that's able to scan for last created files (such as SD Maid). Then make a dummy file in the firmwareinstall folder on the same location in the root_patch or data_patch, wherever this file is located. Reflash and you should be done.

HcH

Offline crackitopen

• Thank You
  • Uber-Noobie
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 10:21:27 PM »
Thanks, HcH

So far I haven't done a firmware install, but it seemed not to be reading the sdcard. Anyways, it will be a week & a half before I can do anything to it. I didn't bring it with me on this road trip, I just brought my working WM8650, for some entertainment during the trip. I was considering bringing it with me just for the challenge of unlocking it by the time I come back. Travel light, they say ...