Author Topic: Debian on WM8650  (Read 60386 times)

Offline k3n

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Received: 26
  • Uber-Novice
    • AgileSource @eBay
  • Tablet / Size / Model: :::::: 4.3" WM8650 Pocket Tablet, 7" WM8650 Netbook ::::::, 7" m799ca V2.2 (An. 2.3.3), 7" Novo7 Basic (An. 3.2)
Re: Debian on WM8650
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2012, 01:19:23 AM »
Has this been tested on the 10" Netbook or only the 7" Netbook?

Offline wicknix

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Received: 53
  • Uber-Noobie
  • Tablet / Size / Model: M009S Clone & Generic wm8650 7" Netbook
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2012, 02:10:48 AM »
@drachensun: Great. Keep me posted on your progress. Until i get my tablet back i'm really of no help getting it fully functional on a tablet.

@tomu54: Because this is a netbook release, not a tablet release. Those won't work "out of the box" on a tablet. A few changes need to be made in order for those to work on a tablet. (see post below on how to start udev which *should* get external kb/mouse working)

@rcaridade: Glad to hear it boots. Try this once. Plop your SD card into pc again and add this line to the top of /root/.xinitrc
/etc/init.d/udev restart
Now when you boot your external mouse and keyboard *should* be detected and work. This will override the evdev settings i'm using in xorg.conf that control the onboard touchpad and keyboard found in these netbooks (which are actually connected via usb internally).

@Fallingwater: It is mostly functional other than sound. Sound works but is fuzzy with no mixer control currently. Built in touchpad works, keyboard works, ethernet works, wifi works. APM isn't working with the android kernel, so the screen never blanks when left idle, but that isn't really a huge issue. Battery life is about the same as CE or Android on mine. 2.5 hours roughly. Currently i'm only booting this via SD card. This allows you to keep android or CE on the nand untouched. Nice to have "dual boot" on these in my opinion. In theory yes there is always a way to install it to nand, but a 2gb nand isn't ideal for something as bloated as debian. A smaller embedded system built with buildroot or open embedded would be ideal for that (which i'm also working on slowly). The nand would have to be repartitioned to do so however. Right now i'd say no to that until it's more looked in to.

@k3n: I've only tested on a 7", but padman from slatedroid has debian running on his 10" wm8650 netbook. I'm using the framebuffer x11 driver, so in theory it should work on any screen size.

Cheers

Offline k3n

• Thank You
  • Uber-Novice
    • AgileSource @eBay
  • Tablet / Size / Model: :::::: 4.3" WM8650 Pocket Tablet, 7" WM8650 Netbook ::::::, 7" m799ca V2.2 (An. 2.3.3), 7" Novo7 Basic (An. 3.2)
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2012, 02:53:11 AM »
Great!

Next question. Can the SD card prep to put these partitions and unarchive the files to the SD card be done from Windows 7? I only see Linux PC instructions in the readme.txt. Thanks for the work on this, it is crazy cool to be able to have Android, Windows CE and Linux on these netbooks.

Another question, do you plan to make it so a person could install Debian to the internal ROM if they want to rather than run from SD card only?

Offline wicknix

• Thank You
  • Uber-Noobie
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2012, 04:07:24 AM »
@k3n: No windows wont work. You'd need to download a live linux cd like puppy linux or something and boot from the live cd to do the partitioning and formatting. Eventually the goal is to have linux on nand. The problem with debian is that its too big and bloated to be used comfortably on the 2gb nand. As i mentioned earlier something smaller like Angstrom would be more ideal.

Cheers

Offline k3n

• Thank You
  • Uber-Novice
    • AgileSource @eBay
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2012, 04:59:59 AM »
Gotchya  :arm-linux-rules:

Is there a way of creating the partitions and maybe having another FAT32 partition to allow a Windows PC to see a FAT32 partition so that a user could use that visible FAT32 partition as a data partition? This way an 8GB USB drive could have the EXT2 and FAT32 partitions for the Linux system and another FAT32 partition of say 4GB to use as a data partition usable by the Linux system running on the netbook but also usable by a Windows PC to put data on it? Sorry for the lame questions, I just know partitioned USB drives often are seen as an unusable drive on a Windows PC and wonder if you know if what I described can be done. I am just thinking it would be much more usable while the system is living on an SD card to also be able to use that same SD card to be able to plug into a Windows (or any OS) PC and be able to copy data on to it so that the SD card can double as the system drive device and also its original intent as a data/data transfer device.  :android-hypnotized:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 12:57:11 AM by k3n »

Offline wicknix

• Thank You
  • Uber-Noobie
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2012, 03:30:30 AM »
Sure. Just make your fat32 partition 4gb and your ext2 partition 4gb (or however big you want each partition). Windows will see the first 4gb fat32 partition and linux will be able to mount it as well. I'm doing this with my SD card so that i can access photos, docs, etc from both WinCE and Linux.

Cheers

Offline k3n

• Thank You
  • Uber-Novice
    • AgileSource @eBay
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2012, 05:54:41 AM »
Awesome. I am going to play with this in the next couple days.

Offline drachensun

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Received: 6
  • Uber-Noobie
  • Tablet / Size / Model: WM8650 7"
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2012, 08:28:09 PM »
Today I was able to get the keyboar d running with a tablet.  I added the drivers you mentioned to the ~/.xinitrc and when it started I pressed F1 and got a terminal.   Basically the caps lock seemed to be lighting up as it should so I started hitting all the buttons and that got a terminal.  So anyway, I got to see the dmesg logs and all so now I can start figuring out what needs work.   Wifi wasn't creating a wlan0 device and my usb mouse was detected and seemed to be grabbed by udev but it wasn't moving.  It was right before I had to leave for work so I'll play more with it tonight.

Offline inj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 25
  • Uber-Noobie
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2012, 09:17:50 PM »
I am working on upgrading to wheezy with some windows manager especially designed for tablets. Lets hope the upgrade process will pass smoothly and tomorrow I may have some screenshots and eventually img to show to public :)

Offline wicknix

• Thank You
  • Uber-Noobie
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2012, 02:30:38 AM »
@drachensun: wlan0 wont exist. Your looking for ra0. By default the wifi module isnt loaded at boot. I have a script set up to activate it and the network manager in the "start menu". You could add a line in .xinitrc under the other modules to load rt3070sta.ko  automatically. Also check out /etc/X11/xorg.conf. You might want to comment out the keyboard and mouse lines as evdev and udev might be fighting over the mouse. If you get internet up (check /usr/local/sbin/wifi-connect and modify it for your needs if you cant get mouse working. This script will let you connect from terminal). Once wifi is up you might need to install xserver-xorg-input-mouse. Good luck. :)

Offline spacehop

• Thank You
  • -Received: 2
  • Uber-Noobie
  • Tablet / Size / Model: wm8650
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2012, 03:41:18 AM »
WOW,, absolutly wow... great work lads, i cant bloody wait.. ive been working on mine too, but not with much luk  as u lot.  all the android rom for my wm8650 800mhz 8gb arent pickinup wifi,,,but desoldered an put a adaptor on it, works on pc,, so imreally not sure what is goin on.. but with debian it works,, weird or what.. lol,keep it up guys an i'll be waiting for a completed os for my tablet..thank you for all ur hard work..

Offline Coccijoe

• Site Donor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Received: 7
  • Uber-Noobie
    • Underground Portables
  • Tablet / Size / Model: Netbook 7' vm8650
« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2012, 10:39:18 PM »
Hi, little report, i tried the V2, seems that my usb mouse don't work anymore on it (worked well on v1) but touchpad work. Wifi don't work too, signal are not detected.
My usb gamepad wich worked on v1, don't work anymore too. Maybe it's an usb problem?
I use a 7" netbook.
anyway everything seems running faster and better thanks for that ;)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 10:53:25 PM by Coccijoe »

Offline Fallingwater

• Thank You
  • -Received: 1
  • Uber-Noobie
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2012, 03:37:20 AM »
APM isn't working with the android kernel, so the screen never blanks when left idle, but that isn't really a huge issue.
Can the screen be manually blanked, and can the device be put into standby manually?

Nice to have "dual boot" on these in my opinion.
Android is really meant for touchscreens and WinCE is evil, so I'd gladly wipe both of 'em from internal nand if possible. Too bad it's so small...
Anyway, even if it can't be used for the system, could the nand be wiped/repartitioned and used for storage? 2GB for user data is better than 2GB wasted...

a 2gb nand isn't ideal for something as bloated as debian.
How much space does your Debian take on a stock unmodified install?

Also, you mention that using this on a tablet requires making modifications to xorg.conf to enable the touchscreen. What exactly do I need to modify in xorg.conf?

Offline wicknix

• Thank You
  • Uber-Noobie
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2012, 07:53:14 AM »
I worked some more kinks out, so i'll be uploading a v3 in the next few days. Finally got around the udev bug. Had to downgrade it manually, and all seems well. Hot plugging now appears to be working smoothly (see screen shot). I also added a nice boot splash screen and shutdown screen along with a few other adjustments.

Hot plugging now works. This popped up when i inserted a usb stick. :)

@Coccijoe: Hopefully v3 will fix that as udev is functioning properly now.

@Fallingwater: I haven't found a work-a-round for screen blanking yet. With a proper kernel i'm sure it would work fine. There are people working on that, but there are still some nasty bugs in the mainline kernel which is why i am using the android kernel for the time being.

Yeah you could wipe the nand and use it for storage i suppose. Just be careful to not delete the uboot partitions.

As soon i upload v3 it will consume 1.4gb of space. V2 currently is about 1.3gb.

Change xorg.conf with the lines for utk_touch to this:
Code: [Select]
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "utk_touch"
Driver "evdevuor"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/event0"
EndSection
You might have to change it to event1 if event0 doesn't work.

Cheers

Offline wicknix

• Thank You
  • Uber-Noobie
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2012, 07:32:21 PM »
3rd release is up. Fixed udev, added boot and shutdown screens, reworked a few init scripts, made new wmt_scriptcmd, and updated readme.txt. All thats left is to get sound working properly (or wait for mainline kernel port to be finished).

Download: http://filefactory.com/file/c1839fa/n/wm8650-netbook-debian-sid-v3.tar.bz2  (423mb)

Cheers

Offline Coccijoe

• Site Donor
  • Thank You
  • Uber-Noobie
    • Underground Portables
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2012, 01:09:06 AM »
Hi wicknix, still no chance about wifi (i tried with the other one you put in "module" and the one i use for android) and about my mouse wich don't work.
May be i did something wrong? Do you have idea about something I can do to resolve that?

For wifi when i clic on the taskbar applet that show 3 lignes : "wired network", "disconnected" and "vpn connection" i can only use vpn connection. When i use lsmod that show me that rt3070sta is loaded but it's not used.
About usb, my usb key is recorgnize, but not my mouse. Like i said few message ago, on the first release there was not problem with that, may be i could use stuff from it?

By the way nice boot and shutdown screen ;)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 08:51:41 AM by Coccijoe »

Offline wicknix

• Thank You
  • Uber-Noobie
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2012, 05:19:30 AM »
@Coccijoe: Ok i have 2 ideas...
1) To get external mouse working edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf to look like this:
Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AllowEmptyInput" "False"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "keyboard"
Driver "evdev"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/event2"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse1"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "utk_touch"
Driver "evdev"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/event3"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Driver "fbdev"
Option "UseFBDev" "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Main Layout"
Screen "Default Screen"
InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "utk touch"
InputDevice "keyboard" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

2) Try all 4 wifi drivers that are included in v3. Namely rt3070sta_ar9271.ko, rt3070sta_rt3070.ko, rt3070sta_rt5370.ko and rt3070sta_rtl8188.ko. Load each one manually until ra0 is created (use iwconfig to see if ra0 exists).
Example:
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.32.9-default/rt3070sta_ar9271.koOnce you find one that creates ra0 rename it and overwrite rt3070sta.ko with it. Turn off wifi and then turn it back on. Wifi should now work. :)

Cheers
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 05:22:05 AM by wicknix »

Offline Coccijoe

• Site Donor
  • Thank You
  • Uber-Noobie
    • Underground Portables
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2012, 09:01:11 PM »
hi wicknix, thanks my wifi is now working!
But still no usb mouse, bad luck :( i d'like to play land of lore on my netbook, an it's quiet uncomfortable with this little touchpad ^^
Thanks for your help anyway

Offline Fallingwater

• Thank You
  • Uber-Noobie
« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2012, 09:36:14 PM »
I loaded V3 on my Eken M009S dualtouch tablet. It has a tendency to reboot spontaneously while loading, but the second attempt typically gives a running system. Problem is, the system is running but there's nothing I can do on it.
I tried connecting external mouse and keyboard and it did nothing, so I tried the xorg.conf in your last post: the keyboard now works, but the mouse is still inoperative (it's physically on, but the cursor doesn't move), and a GUI system with just the keyboard isn't very useful :P
I then tried the xorg.conf edit you suggested to me earlier to at least run the touchscreen. Using event0 causes it to hang where it usually shows the desktop (only a small square in the bottom right remains, everything else is black); event1 loads the system, but the touchscreen remains inoperative.

Also, I'd like to disable the loading screen so I can see what's happening as it works. Typically I'd edit the grub config files, but there's no grub here...

Edit: I've gotten the touchscreen to show signs of life by using "evdev" instead of "evdevuor" as the driver and "event1" as the device, but it's not working right - anywhere I move the finger the pointer only moves in one vertical line according to horizontal finger movement. Vertical movement seems to have no effect. Tried evdev for the external mouse (instead of "mouse") but it's still not working.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 10:30:43 PM by Fallingwater »

Offline wicknix

• Thank You
  • Uber-Noobie
« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2012, 05:28:55 AM »
@Coccijoe: Glad wifi is sorted out. I'll keep picking away at possible external mouse fixes.

@Fallingwater: No point disabling my boot screen. The android kernel was built with boot splash enabled, so all you'd see is a black background with the android loading bar if you disabled my boot logo. To see whats happening just look at dmesg. Hit F1 which brings up a console and run dmesg > ~/dmesg.txt. My only other suggestion would be to download padmans tablet version of debian ( http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/23028-running-debian-on-wm8650/ ) and either A) test it on your device, or B) check his xorg.conf to see how he got touchscreen etc working. Without my tablet handy i'm running out of ideas for tablet users. As for the random reboots, that will happen after an unclean shutdown. It auto runs fsck and reboots.

Cheers
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 05:34:22 AM by wicknix »

Offline fabioferreiracs

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Received: 4
  • Uber-Noobie
« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2012, 07:53:15 PM »
I tried everything , but my tablet wm8650 with atheros driver not work internet !!! I tried all drivers and most of them accused error loading. Its dont creat the dev ra0 or any to acess internet.

how i do ?

Offline inj

• Thank You
  • -Received: 25
  • Uber-Noobie
« Reply #81 on: January 20, 2012, 08:03:10 AM »
Just you can't. Wicknix has Netbook and yo have tablet. The things are different on both types, especially for the wifi. So you have to wait to finish my version and also figure out why wifi and sound are not working.

Offline k3n

• Thank You
  • Uber-Novice
    • AgileSource @eBay
« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2012, 12:58:01 PM »
Trying V3.

Regarding wifi...
The module that seems to "work" on my 7" netbook is rt3070sta_rt5370.ko, so I renamed it so it will load on boot up. The problem is, though wifi appears to be enabled using this module if I run iwconfig (none of the others seem to show up when I run iwconfig), when I try to add a wireless connection everything is grey (disabled)...I can't even type in an SSID. The wired networking works though. :(

Offline wicknix

• Thank You
  • Uber-Noobie
« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2012, 01:02:20 AM »
@fabioferreiracs: Atheros? I thought all these devices used a Ralink chipset for wifi. If you are positive yours is atheros, then just pull the wifi driver out of an android firmware that worked with wifi on your device.

@Inj: The tablets and netbooks only differ in which input is used to control the touchscreen, touchpad, keyboard, mouse. The wifi modules are the same however. There are 3 or 4 to choose from (even in the android roms). Selecting the right wifi module is all that's needed for wifi to work. :)

@k3n: Ahh a user on slatedroid had the same issue regarding that same wifi driver. It seems network manager doesn't like that driver. You'll need to connect manually. Here's his solution:

'iwlist ra0 scan' did bring up the hotspots around, confirming the networkmanager didn't like the rt3070sta_rt5370.ko driver. Spend most of the time to get wpa2 right. Finally solved it this way:

Change /etc/network/interfaces to only say this:

auto ra0
iface ra0 inet dhcp
  wpa-driver wext
  wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

Edit /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
network={
  ssid="MySSID"
  key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
  proto=WPA2
  psk="myverystrongandverylongkey"
}

'insmod rt3070sta.ko' and then '/etc/init.d/networking restart'. Wifi working perfect. /etc/resolv.conf is updated automatically to the correct name servers.
Having ra0 in /etc/network/interfaces has also the advantage that NetworkManager, on Debian, doesn't try to configure it any more.

Cheers

Offline k3n

• Thank You
  • Uber-Novice
    • AgileSource @eBay
« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2012, 01:22:07 AM »
Ugh, that's not great. From looking at the tweaks, doesn't this mean wpa_supplicant.conf has to be edited each time the user would need to connect to a different hotspot? If so, that is not a very good permanent solution. :(

Offline wicknix

• Thank You
  • Uber-Noobie
« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2012, 07:58:43 AM »
True. You might want to remove network-manager and maybe try wicd-cli or otherwise there are numerous wifi connection scripts that might also work just fine. For example i've included this script in my zipitz2 userland. It works well and auto updates wpa_supplicant.conf. Might be worth a try.
http://russelldavis.org/ZipitZ2/ewoc-cli.sh

Cheers

pichlo

« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2012, 08:40:27 PM »
How do I mount the resident NAND? I have not had much luck. Nor have I found an answer in this thread, though I may have missed a few of the 85 posts.

Offline Fallingwater

• Thank You
  • Uber-Noobie
« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2012, 01:27:27 AM »
download padmans tablet version of debian ( http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/23028-running-debian-on-wm8650/ ) and either A) test it on your device, or B) check his xorg.conf to see how he got touchscreen etc working.

What benefits, if any, would I get from running your Debian with his xorg rather than his Debian (assuming it and/or its xorg work)?

Offline wicknix

• Thank You
  • Uber-Noobie
« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2012, 02:48:51 AM »
@pichlo: I'm getting close. So far i've managed to mount 2 512mb partitions, 1 128mb partition, and 2 9mb paritions. I'm still not able to find where the remaining 600mb of nand is. You'll need to make a few block devices first.
cd /dev
mknod mtdblock10 b 31 10
mknod mtdblock11 b 31 11
mknod mtdblock12 b 31 12
mknod mtdblock13 b 31 13
mknod mtdblock14 b 31 14
mknod mtdblock15 b 31 15
The nand file system is yaffs2. So just mount each partition with:
mount -t yaffs2 /dev/mtdblockX /mnt/mountpointSo far i can tell you that on my netbook with WinCE6 installed to nand:
mtdblock7 and 8 are both 9mb
mtdblock15 is 128mb
mtdblock11 and 14 are both 512mb

@Fallingwater: No clue. Probably not much. Both are debian after all. I haven't downloaded his. I'm stuck tethered to my cell phone with a 2gb/month data limit, so i try not to download stuff i don't really need. The only difference that i know of is that his is an older debian lenny or squeeze, and mines based on the latest bleeding edge sid/unstable branch. Mines also not a 4gb.img file either. I hate those. Without a 4gb or larger sd card you are out of luck when it comes to installing his.

Cheers

Offline U-ser-2

• Thank You
  • -Received: 0
  • Uber-Noobie
  • Tablet / Size / Model: Wondermedia WM8550 netbook 7"
« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2012, 06:59:54 PM »
Hi!
Thanks  wichnix for your incredible work!  :android-shocked:

I have a problem  setting the wifi.

I tried with iwconfig and it couldn't find anything.
With 'iwlist ra0 scan' I had this result:
'ra0 interface doesn't support scanning.'

I tried:

2) Try all 4 wifi drivers that are included in v3. Namely rt3070sta_ar9271.ko, rt3070sta_rt3070.ko, rt3070sta_rt5370.ko and rt3070sta_rtl8188.ko. Load each one manually until ra0 is created (use iwconfig to see if ra0 exists).
Example:
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.32.9-default/rt3070sta_ar9271.ko

When I try to load a driver, it can't find the file except rtl8188 driver. Whith the command ls only finds rtl8188 driver, but with file manager I can see all driver.
??

The mouse is not working too, I copied your xorg.conf  without results.

Thanx a lot!
Sorry , my english is horrible!!  :tongue:
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 03:53:39 PM by U-ser-2 »